Sunday, October 28, 2012

A 26.2 Shocker

On October 21 I ran the Atlantic City Marathon, which was my third marathon. Three other running pals also ran the race as well as two other good friends from Manchester so we had quite a crew. The race was 99% flat, which is why I signed up for it, and it was also close to my friend Kerri's brother's house in Ocean City, and we all stayed there.
Race day was beautiful, not a cloud in the sky.
My previous best marathon time was 4:10 so my goal for this one was 4:05 or best case 4:00.
I had what a runner would call an amazing run, all things came together, I found a comfortable pace and was able to maintain it for all 26.4 (yes a marathon is never just 26.2 unless you can take every corner in  the shortest way possible) miles and I finished in 3:53:07.
I have never been so proud of myself, and so surprised at the same time. And that includes any tennis match I have ever won. It is a different feeling....amazing really...and quite surprising!
And yes, this time qualifies me for Boston....2014.....if I can get in....ick! I have never run a hilly marathon...

 The view from Kerri's brothers house...on the bay, and amazing
 on the boardwalk in Ocean City
 cute pink glasses purchased at the expo
 Mary, Kerri, Beth, and me..at the expo
 race day sunrise
 minutes before in our throw away shirts
 finished and happy!
THRILLED when crossing the finish line

No comments: